Delightful Drinks #1 - Pisco Sour

Hi,

Anyone that is close to me will be aware of my delight for cocktails. In preparation for New Years Day I am sharing the first ever cocktail I tried: Pisco sour. Pisco is an alcohol made from distilled grapes in the Andes region. Peru and Chile constantly claim to be original creator of Pisco but I can assure you that Pisco is very much Peruvian. I've even been to the city named Pisco on the Peruvian coast. Both nations love Pisco but Chileans mostly drink Pisco-Cola (Pisco mixed with Coca Cola) while Peruvians consume Pisco sour. Pisco sour comes in many variations but I will attempt to use a traditional one.

Any good spirit dealer should stock some Pisco as it has been gaining popularity for some time. It's a fun drink and sure to impress guests because of its tangy flavour and relative obscurity. If you do not have a cocktail shaker then simply blending is an option; it's what most Peruvian families tend to do. However, I attempted to be fancy and shake the cocktail by hand. Unfortunately, I did not have cocktail bitters and my cinnamon stock ran out thus I was unable to garnish the cocktail. Normally you would add one of these ingredients on the top of the foam to complete the cocktail. Nevertheless, it still had the nostalgic Pisco sour flavour; a good way to start the New Year. On that note, Happy New Year!

Recipe

2 shots Pisco
1 shot Lime Juice
1/2 shot of Sugar Syrup
1/2 Egg White
Ice
Either Amargo Bitters or cinnamon

1) Add all the ingredients except for the ice and mix rigorously for 10 seconds
2) Add the ice and mix for an additional 10 seconds
3) Strain onto a glass and add the bitters or cinnamon on top


Comments

Popular Posts