Restaurant Review #2 - Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

Hi everyone,

Today was a very special day. One month ago, my friend somehow managed to get himself a reservation at Gordon Ramsay's flagship restaurant in London. I've been trying to get reservation at this renowned restaurant for many years but getting a booking is almost as hard as winning the lottery. I was pleased for him when he told me he managed to reserve a table for two; I was more pleased when he asked me to join him. All those years talking about food paid off! As you can imagine, I've been looking forward to this day for a while now. I braced myself not only for the delightful food coming my way, but also for the incoming financial hit I was about to take.

Restaurant Gordon Ramsay is tucked away in the posh borough of Chelsea. Compared to the glamour of other luxury restaurants, such as the Ritz, it pales in comparison. If anything, it can be fairly difficult to notice the restaurant at first sight. However, after countless hours watching documentaries  on this restaurant I recognised it instantly. It is fair to say we were keen to begin our meal. In hindsight maybe too keen as we arrived 40 minutes early. Luckily, staff were very welcoming and gave us nuts to snack on while we waited for our table. I immediately noticed how small the restaurant was. It is comprised of 14 tables and felt intimate; it looks a lot bigger on screen. There was a constant flurry of servers wanting customers to have an amazing experience which added to the atmosphere. Some aspects of the restaurant were maybe too small, particularly the gents toilet. Nevertheless, it is the food that counts and we waited eagerly for our table to clear. While we waited, friendly staff kept checking up on us. We received our appetisers promptly as we decided to get the Prestige Menu. Originally, we had wanted to order the more affordable lunch menu at £65. However, due to the holidays that option was not available. Therefore, I had to bite the bullet and order the more expensive alternative at £145. Despite the shock after the sudden hike in price I was glad, I would be able to taste more dishes including a Gordon Ramsay special: lobster ravioli. When our table finally cleared I had raised expectations having decided that I will deal with the financial consequences at a later time.




We were promptly given bread and butter as the waiter informed us of surprises made by the chef. I had raised sprits as I wondered what surprise was in store for me; also I am a huge fan of bread. As I was indulging in my brioche we were 'surprised' with an egg. After further explanation we found out that it was an egg with a savoury mousse. I thought the presentation was unique and the flavour opened my appetite. Shortly after we finished our surprise the first course arrived: Foie Gras with green apples, turnips, watercress and smoked duck. I am not the biggest fan of foie gras for a variety of reasons. However, I decided to put my pre-conceived assumptions to one side and tasted the opening course. The apple added a sweetness that cut the richness of the foie gras. The taste was exceptional as it balanced the flavours well. It was light yet surprisingly filling, savoury yet surprisingly sweet and a food that was clearly executed at a world-class level. I now had raised hopes for future dishes that were yet to come.




What followed is a culinary legend. One of Gordon Ramsay's creations: Lobster, Langoustine and Salmon Ravioli with oxalis and wood sorrel. Most people that follow his culinary shows will be aware of this dish as it makes numerous appearances. The waiters themselves introduced the dish as Gordon's favourite. I know that the thought of only being served one ravioli at a restaurant might infuriate some people. In my opinion, I thought one was more than enough as the freshness of seafood filled my mouth. It had a lot to live up to and I feel like it did. I felt my palate expand as I experienced flavours that I had not yet tasted. The ravioli left almost as soon as it arrived. Meanwhile, it seemed like the waiters noticed my enthusiasm for bread as they constantly wanted to top me up. At this point I realised that if I kept eating all the bread I would fill myself up and not enjoy the other courses. Regretfully I had to tell the server that there is a limit to how much bread I can eat and I would require no more. I thought that day would never come as sadness filled me while I watched them take the butter and bread dish away. My sadness was only temporary however as the next course was arguably the best of the whole night.




What followed was a Poached Halibut with king crab, couscous and the most amazing broth I have ever had. When the waiter made us smell the ras-el-hanout broth I immediately got excited. It had a cumin/coriander smell that filled you with warmth. After the server poured the broth on the beautifully presented halibut I began to dig in. The halibut was cooked to perfection and it was the perfect partner for the broth. It was arguably one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. It is something that I will attempt to replicate at home as it also seems to be a healthy option. It was a light dish but one that I will remember. After clensing my palate it was time for the main course. Roast Pigeon with beetroot, quince and buckwheat.




When I ordered the pigeon I was informed that the chef recommends medium rare. I decided to trust the chef and was not disappointed. It was gamey as expected but also had intricate ingredients adding different layers of flavours. The red wine sauce that was poured over my pigeon was delightful. It was evident that this dish had been carefully created with every ingredient playing a vital role. I was glad with my choice although the lamb that was offered also had an outstanding taste. It is here that I began forming my first conclusions on this restaurant. It is obviously an elite restaurant as evident by its food. The service may not be as attentive compared to their 3 Michelin star rival, 'Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester', but staff are engaging and friendly. The restaurant itself is not as impressive but the food is. For me, it was at this point where the food peaked.




The desserts were not as outstanding compared to the previous dishes. All the desserts had a more 'adult' flavour compared to other restaurants. We began by drinking a 'soup' made with pineapple, coconut and lime. It was served in a long glass with a glass straw. We were instructed not to bite the straw; this made me chuckle as there must have been a previous person that attempted to bite glass. The taste very much resembled a piña colada. Nothing too impressive. A blackcurrant sorbet followed with a very strong acute flavour. It was in a bed of champagne ice. The most impressive aspect of this dish was how they managed to make champagne ice. We finished with a Lemonade Parfait with honey, bergamot and sheep's milk yoghurt. The presentation was finally of a standard that I expect from a 3 Michelin star restaurant but the taste somewhat disappointed. It was acidic and refreshing but nothing that will stick with me in the future. Overall, I would say that the desserts underperformed, especially considering the amazing food that came before.




After a long meal (approximately 2 hours and a half) we were treated to another surprise. Little leaving gifts: turkish delight, ginger ice cream and a slab of Belgian chocolate. I enjoyed these more than the desserts as I accompanied the little surprises with a good cup of Earl Grey. After paying my bill (while closing my eyes) I was ready to leave. However, the best surprise was yet to come. The Maitre d' Jean-Claude Breton, who was exceptionally friendly all day, invited us to see the kitchen. It felt like a dream come true as I walked into the kitchen I had seen from a screen on many different occasions. I ogled at the surprisingly small kitchen as chefs conducted their duties. We briefly saw Head Chef Matt Abé as he was finishing lunch service. I took in the atmosphere and appreciated every minute I spent inside their kitchen. Eventually it was time to leave, but this final 'surprise' left me in an exceptional mood. While Restaurant Gordon Ramsay may not be perfect, it certainly tries to be. It deserves each of its 3 Michelin Stars and the high fees they charge. This is not for an everyday occasion, this restaurant should only be experienced on special occasions. Ultimately, that is what this restaurant is: a gastronomic experience.

Price: Scary
Food: Outstanding but desserts need more work
Service: Friendly and engaging
Rating: 4.5/5

Fun Fact: Before Gordon Ramsay took over this restaurant it was known as the Aubergine.

Comments

Popular Posts