Restaurant Review #17 - Duck and Waffle


Hi everyone,

Today I am taking a little detour from my Monaco review to bring a review from a restaurant chain that has taken London by storm. I have heard that duck and waffle is fully booked at peak times, this is rather peculiar from a middle-of-the-road restaurant. Perhaps it is the weird niche the owners have taken, duck and waffle is not the most obvious pairing for a dish. I would like to think that the restaurant will offer an interesting twist and experience to warrant its newfound popularity. As I entered a chain near Piccadilly I was not overly impressed. The restaurant was clean and decorated well but not something that will blow you away. Perhaps it is my bias from having previous experiences at exceptional restaurants. Nevertheless, it was certainly not bad and I decided to try the food with an open mind. Aside from some chorizo, I ordered the traditional plate: duck and waffle.


As you can see, the presentation was pleasant. I thought it was a trendy way to present the dish: waffle, duck confit and egg on top. On the side there was maple syrup to drizzle all over your food. The flavours were surprisingly pleasant, I enjoyed the waffle and maple syrup. The egg was standard and the duck left more to be desired. But overall, I was expecting it to taste average. I can see why it has gained some notoriety although I cannot comprehend the extent of it. I think the restaurant is a good idea, but not a special one. The food is good but not great. I would maybe recommend going here as a last minute decision, but I would not understand someone who books it in advance. Despite this opinion, I do believe that it is a decent restaurant and not a bad option to dine out in London.

Price: Middle range
Food: Duck and Waffle
Service: Laid-back

Rating: 2.5/5

Fun Fact: Waffles date back to the middle ages where some noblemen used to make waffle designs to suit their coat of arms.

Comments

Popular Posts