Restaurant Review #15 - Señor Ceviche

Hi everyone,

I often miss Peruvian food but am often disappointed. After the downfall of Lima, the best Peruvian restaurant in London, this has opened opportunities for other restaurants. Thus far I have reviewed 9 Peruvian restaurants in London which you can see on this blog. In fact, that review is now updated to include Señor Ceviche. While I think Coya Mayfair has potential, there is definitely a gap which can still be exploited by an ambitious chef. Located in the popular Carnaby Street, Señor Ceviche has attempted to jump on the trend of Peruvian food. The restaurant itself is on the second floor of Kingly Court and is an attractive place to eat. It has long wooden tables and a nice ambience. However, the service was not great. The staff really had no idea of Peruvian food other than what was on the menu. Furthermore, one of the waiters actually forgot to bring one of the dishes we ordered and had to subsequently make a new one which arrived far too late. Their cocktails were also lacking in flavour. As an example, I ordered their chilly pisco cocktail.





Now I am not a stranger to unusual cocktails. If the bar is good then the cocktail will always have a good flavour. For example, I had a curry powder cocktail from Sexy Fish which actually turned out to be good. There are plenty of chilly cocktails which are good, this one wasn't. The chilly tasted more like pepper and was far too overwhelming. I couldn't finish the cocktail which is unusual for me. The restaurant itself is named after the Peruvian national dish. So it was only natural for me to try their ceviche.




Their ceviche was ok but average at best. I really disliked the fact they put avocado in their ceviche, that is not a smart or normal thing to do. It does not mix well with the flavours and acidity of the dish. But the flavours were ok but not something I would be happy to try again. Finally I ordered Seco, one of my favourite Peruvian dishes. What I received was so disappointing that I told myself not to come again.




Seco can be cooked in several ways to make it interesting and more special. I even have a different recipe. However, the chef has taken every element of the dish and cooked it differently. This tasted Japanese not Peruvian. I know the Peruvian/Japanese fusion has started gaining popularity in Western countries but this has butchered the dish. I couldn't even taste the coriander, only sweet. To my dismay, the bill also came out to be very high which made me question why Europeans like this food. Regardless, I feel there are much better options in London if you want to try Peruvian food.

Price: Over-Priced Tapas
Food: Japanese Peruvian
Service: Forgetful

Rating: 2/5

Fun Fact: June 28th is National Ceviche Day in Peru! It was thought to be brought to Peru from Spanish Moorish women.

Comments

Popular Posts