Country Review #3 - Nice, France

Hi everyone,

I am continuing my review of international foods, this week I am reviewing Nice. During my trip to Monaco I had a day trip across the border to Nice, France. Aside from being a beautiful city, there was a very interesting food scene. The famous niçoise cuisine is from this area and Mediterranean themes are deeply intertwined with the food. Side streets are littered with interesting smells and food stores. Socca, a chickpea pancake, is the traditional food of the region. You can have this with various different fillings or have it by itself. Aside from this, there was a lot of truffle in restaurants and market stalls. Walking by the heavy food atmosphere filled me with great expectation as vibrant smells come from every corner. The famous Marche Aux Fleurs Cours Saleya market is exciting and filled with interesting produce and restaurants. It is here I decided to have my meal and order the niçoise platter.


The portion of food was enormous. I feel that my potion could have fed a small family. But my dish contained all the specials from the niçoise cuisine. Firstly the traditional socca which provided a nice neutral flavour to break up all the different flavours. Similar to other Mediterranean cuisines, there was a heavy presence of vegetables which I enjoyed. I feel that it adds freshness to the dish that's very underrated. It is also vital due to the meat heavy foods of stuffed onions and meatballs with tomato sauce. Finally there is the world famous niçoise salad which was very fresh and filled with powerful flavours. I must admit, I am not the biggest fan of the famous salad but it was good to try nonetheless. My friend had a truffle ravioli dish and greatly enjoyed it. It is definitely worth trying.



I must also mention how amazing the ice creams are in Nice. I feel that as a city, everyone should try and visit as it is beautiful with great weather and culture. However, an added benefit is the amazing cuisine that you find in this region. It lives up to the great expectation set by it's Mediterranean cousins, although I question how it stands to the great Italian and Greek cuisines.

Cuisine: Niçoise
Options: Mediterranean style food
Rating: 3.5/5

Fun Fact: Nice has only been part of France since 1860, before that Nice belonged to Italy.  

Comments

Popular Posts