Restaurant Review #21 - Umu

Hi everyone,

Today I am going to review the two Michelin star establishment Umu. For those that are fans of Japanese food then Umu is among the best choices in London. It has built its reputation by producing high quality food with an elegant atmosphere. The doors to the restaurant are hidden and frankly confusing as I did not know how to enter the restaurant. However, when you eventually find out how to use them it is quite a spectacle and an interesting start to this culinary experience. The entrance of the restaurant is elegant with Japanese features mixed with a Western twang. Similar to other Japanese restaurants, you are able to sit by the kitchen or by a table. The waiters are pleasant but they expect you to have a certain knowledge of culinary customs. This is perhaps not the best restaurant for those trying Japanese food for the first time. Nevertheless, for experienced diners then this is a very rewarding experience. The lunch menu is expensive, however reasonably priced compared to other restaurants of a similar stature. All choices come with a small salad.



The salad was beautifully presented, what you would expect from a high-end Japanese restaurant. It was refreshing and an excellent start to a nice lunch meal. Each individual vegetable was very flavoursome but together they elevate this simple salad into a memorable dish. After some consideration I decided to order the sashimi as I wanted to experience the tastes of different fish options.



The presentation of the sashimi was modest but let the ingredients speak for themselves. In reality it was a beautiful presentation as all the fish had striking colours and a beautiful composition. The flavours were amazing. I was gleefully eating all the sashimi and marvelling at it's quality. The fish was really outstanding. I enjoy Japanese food but I could see the levels of quality as Umu provided me my best experience of this world famous cuisine. You can taste the high quality of the ingredients and this cannot be understated. By the end I was feeling very satisfied and quite full. However I had a light dessert to have a sweet ending to the evening.



I ordered a fig sorbet which was the perfect ending to a very pleasant experience. Despite knowing that not everyone is a fanatic of Japanese food I feel that those that are should save to enjoy this experience. It's not often I am left very impressed with a restaurant but I feel that Umu lived up to my very high expectations. The lunch finished with a few sweet delights and I was left wondering when is the next time I can visit this restaurant.

Price: Competitive
Food: High-Class Japanese
Service: Professional but knowledgeable

Rating: 4.5/5

Fun Fact: Umu means born of nature in Japanese and was opened in 2004 as a Kyoto influenced restaurant.


Comments

Popular Posts