Recipe #1 - Pan-Fried Chicken with Quinoa

Hi,

I have decided to have a go at something relatively simple for my first post. While scouring through my cookbooks I stumbled across pan-fried guinea fowl in a bed of morel risotto from Lieth's 'How to Cook'. Admittedly, I usually like to add my own twists on dishes and guinea fowl is somewhat hard to find so I settled for an organic chicken. I also decided to go for a variation on this dish and stay true to the motherland by replacing the morel risotto with hazelnut quinoa. After collecting the necessary ingredients I was ready to commence.


I started by marinating the chicken with ras-al-hanout, salt and olive oil. A tip I learnt from my time in Argentina is to always cook the chicken at room temperature unless you want your chicken to be drier than the Sahara desert. After pan-frying the chicken breast (skin side down) for a couple of minutes I transferred the pan to the oven for approximately 20 minutes. Meanwhile I quickly made the quinoa and added roasted hazelnuts, garlic, shallot and parsley. After presenting the dish I took it to my improvised food photo booth and got the snap. You can see it for yourselves here or on the berrybestcreations Instagram page. Let me know what you think!

Recipe:

1 Quartered Organic Chicken
1tbsp of Ras-al-Hanout
1tbsp of Olive Oil
100g Quinoa
300ml Chicken Stock
Handful of Roasted Hazelnuts
1 Shallot
2 Cloves of Garlic
Finely Chopped Parsley
50g Butter
Salt and Pepper

1) Start by making a paste with the Ras-al-Hanout, olive oil and salt. Marinate the chicken with the paste and set aside for 30 minutes to an hour.

2) Heat up an oven proof pan with a knob of butter and olive oil. Place the chicken skin-side down and fry until crispy (5-7 minutes). Add knobs of butter on the chicken and transfer to an oven at 200°C. Leave in the oven until fully cooked (approximately 20 minutes).

3) Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in the chicken stock for 20 minutes and fry the shallot, garlic and hazelnuts in olive oil. Drain the quinoa when cooked and add the hazelnut mix. Add parsley and season to taste.

4) Make a bed of quinoa and place the chicken on top. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts