Bar Review #1 - The Ivy Chelsea Garden

Hi everyone,

I have decided to start a new series reviewing bars. Most alcohol drinkers enjoy a good cocktail, including me. Bar reviews offer the perfect excuse to explore and perhaps find a new hang-out spot. While I was in the fancy neighbourhood of Chelsea, I decided to have a drink at a very popular bar/restaurant. The Ivy has a few establishments in London, all in prestigious locations, offering a contemporary and high end service. The Ivy Chelsea Garden is particularly unique as it opens its impressive garden to the general public. Once I arrived at the location it was hard not to be taken aback by their entrance. It seems as if the Ivy Chelsea Garden had not lost its Christmas spirit as colourful baubles drooped over their entrance. It was impressive, even more so after I found out the grand decor continues throughout the year. The baubles may leave but flowers will replace them. This branch of the Ivy certainly lives up to its name as the garden theme is radiated by this establishment. 



Once inside I was impressed by the contemporary furniture and large size. The openness seems to expand as soon as you enter. Despite the restaurant being full there was plenty of space at the bar. The bar itself is of a high standard and decorated in a pleasant way. Their menu is a decent size consisting of 12 different cocktails. The prices range between £8 and £11.25. Quite pricy but reasonable for a bar located in this neighbourhood. You certainly won't break the bank ordering a drink here. The bartender was friendly enough but I felt quite hurried to make a decision on what to order. Eventually I settled for a Koko Coop; a tropical rum based drink. On this occasion, my friend was wiser by ordering an Angel's Share. After taking a sip of this drink I can see why they named it in this manner. It is described as a take on mojito but refined and smooth. It was certainly smooth and went down very well. In fact, it almost tempted me to dish out more money and order one. As I rued my bad choice we decided to check out the garden. It was impressive despite the weather, but not even the British wind could dampen my curiosity. It is relatively large considering its location; the outdoor fireplaces added to the atmosphere. I can imagine that in summer this will be a lively place. In the winter, however, it was empty. Blankets were offered to shield you from the cold winds but this was not enough to entice people to come outside. After a few minutes the weather broke me and I decided to use one of the blankets. Unfortunately, it was dirty which was a negative finish to what was otherwise an impressive experience. After seeing the garden for a last time it was time to go. Overall, the Ivy Chelsea Garden is a nice place to go if you're in the neighbourhood. I can imagine it is particularly nice in the summer. However, I don't think I would go out of my way to visit this establishment for a drink.



Drinks: Impressive
Service: Ok but can improve
Price: Not too bad
Rating: 3.5/5

Fun Fact: The Ivy has a secret club with a hidden entrance




Comments

Popular Posts