Country Review #2 - Kampala, Uganda

Hi everyone,

Today I am reviewing Uganda! I recently had the pleasure to spend 3 or so weeks in Kampala for a research project. While there, I had accommodation without a kitchen which required me to eat out everyday. Due to this predicament, I had the opportunity to try different types of Ugandan food. Firstly, I wanted to try a local favourite: A Rolex.


In this instance, a Rolex does not refer to the high-end watch. It refers to an omelette that is used as a warp. My Rolex contained a chicken filling. During my time in Uganda, I frequented a cafe called Cafesserie as it had a good ambiance to work and eat. Here I found myself eating lunch often and it was generally a good place to go. The actual food itself was ok, I found that Ugandan food is not so refined and elegant. Rather I found the foods to be rough on flavour and usually comes in huge portions. Cafesserie was more refined compared to other places but there was still something average about the taste. I found the ingredients themselves quite good. I particularly enjoyed the local fish, Tilapia. 


This was usually served with a huge portion of rice and a much smaller portion of vegetables. While the fish itself did taste good, I feel that it could always have been cooked better with different sauces to compliment the fish. I also did not appreciate the mountains of rice that came with the fish. I do appreciate different cultures ask for big portions of simple carbohydrates. It works in a family setting. But I feel that in a restaurant you must push your food more and make it special. However, the fish itself however has potential. I also went to the many Indian restaurants in Uganda but was often disappointed by the flavours. At the time, the best restaurant in Uganda according to Trip Advisor was Mediterraneo, an Italian restaurant. 


I went twice during my time there. At first I had a mushroom risotto which was well made. The second time I went for a special, the octopus. Both times were enjoyable and I liked the decorations of the restaurant. I wouldn't say this restaurant is close to Michelin standards, rather than a causal dining experience. However, this summarises my food experience in Uganda. There is nothing refined/special or dishes that require skill to make. There is simple heart warming food that usually come in large portions. Uganda is not known for its foods, but there is potential in this welcoming country.

Cuisine: Huge Portions
Options: Meat/Rice, Indian and Italian
Rating: 2.5/5

Fun Fact: Uganda has over 50% of all mountain gorillas in the world 


Comments

Popular Posts